[ ENGLISH VERSION ]
[Groups ‘A’ to ‘F’ are common for both Regular and External Candidates and Group ‘G’ is meant only for External Candidates] (Question numbers 1, 2 and 3 are compulsory. Sightless candidates will answer the alternative questions as per directive. Others will attempt map pointing.)
1. (a) Locate the following with appropriate symbols and names on the given outline map of India.
Attach the map with your answer paper :— 1 x 5 = 5
1. (a.i) The highest plateau of India
1. (a.ii) River Narmada
1. (a.iii) A region in India with desert vegetation
1. (a.iv) Tea growing region in West Bengal
1. (a.v) One locomotive industry in eastern India.
(b) Locate the following with appropriate symbols and names on the given outline map of Asia. Attach the map with your answer paper :— 1 x 5 = 5
1. (b.i) Hindukush range
1. (b.ii) Gobi desert
1. (b.iii) River Ob
1. (b.iv) Mediterranean forest
1. (b.v) Tropical monsoon climatic region.
[ For Sightless Candidates only ]
1. Answer any five of the following :— 2 x 5=10
(a) Name one Lava plateau and one Dissected plateau of India.
(b) Mention the names of two mountain passes one each from the Eastern and Western Himalayas.
(c) Name the highest tea and coffee growing states of India.
(d) Mention the names of one automobile manufacturing centre and one petro-chemical industrial centre of West Bengal.
(e) Identify the mountains between which the Tibetan plateau is situated.
(i) Name two east flowing rivers of Asia.
(g) Specify the names of trees one each from the mediterranean and monsoon region of Asia.
(h) Name one saline water and one fresh water lake of Asia.
2. (a) Identify the correct answer :— 1 x 5 = 5
2. (a.i) Satpura of India is an example of Volcanic/Block/Fold mountain.
2. (a.ii) Chemical weathering is dominant in desert region/polar region/hot and humid region.
2. (a.iii) Air pressure is measured by Barometer/ Thermometer/Hygrometer.
2. (a.iv) Convectional/Orographic/Cyclonic rain is common along the windward side of mountain.
2. (a.v) Neap tides occur at the newmoon/the fullmoon/first and third quarter of the moon.
(b) If the statement is true, write ‘T’ and if false, write ‘F’ against the following :— 1 x 5 = 5
2. (b.i) Chilka is a lagoon on the eastern coast of India.
2. (b.ii) Low temperature in the polar region is caused by low inclination of the sun rays.
2. (b.iii) River Luni of India is an east flowing river.
2. (b.iv) Red soil is found in Thar desert region.
2. (b.v) Cotton textile industry is a major industry of Gujarat.
3. Write short notes on any five of the following:— 2 x 5=10
(a) Loess plain
(b) Alluvial cone
(d) Rann of Kutch
(e) Necessity of afforestation
(f) Western disturbance
(g) Convectionai rainfall
(h) Effects of ocean currents.
(Answer any two questions) [ Sketches are not essential for Sightless Candidates ]
4. (a) Discuss the origin of different types of depositional plain with sketches.
(b) What are the salient features of residual mountain ?
(c) Distinguish between weathering and erosion. 5+3+2=10
5. (a) Describe any three landforms carved out by fluvial erosion with the help of diagrams.
(b) Give a short account of moraines.
(c) What is ventifact ? 5+3+2=10
6. (a) Identify the layers of atmosphere on the basis of temperature and describe the characteristics of any one of them.
(b) Discuss in brief the relation between the equatorial low pressure belt and trade winds.
(c) What is Isohyet ? 5+3+2=10
7. (a) Describe the major currents of the North Atlantic ocean.
(b) What are the effects of tides ?
(c) Mention the names of one cold and one warm current of the Pacific ocean. 5+3+2=10
(Answer any two questions)
8. (a) Give a brief account of the coastal plain of India.
(b) Find out three differences between the Western and the Eastern Ghats.
(c) What are the winds under the influence of which Tamil Nadu experiences rainfall twice a year ? 5+3+2=10
9. (a) Bring out the characteristic differences between North and South Indian rivers.
(b) Account for the origin of desert in Rajasthan.
(c) Name one crop each produced on the Lateritic and Black soil of India. 5+3+2=10
10. (a) Describe the physical conditions favourable for cultivation of jute in India.
(b) What are the methods of irrigation practised in India ?
(c) Define cash crop with an example. 5+3+2=10
11. (a) Explain in brief the factors responsible for development of cotton textile industry in Western India,
(b) Name two types of engineering industries along with their location.
(c) What are the major manufactured products of Petro-chemical industry ? 5+3+2-10
(Answer any one question) [ Sketches are not essential for Sightless Candidates ]
12. (a) Describe the mountain ranges radiating from the Pamir knot with the help of a diagram.
(b) Name three old plateaus of Asia.
(c) Specify two characteristic features of Temperate Grassland climate of Asia, 5+3+2=10
13. (a) Give a brief account of the North flowing rivers of Asia.
(b) Distinguish between the characteristics of the Equatorial Evergreen Rainforest with that of the Taiga forest
(c) Why is the Tundra region of Asia devoid of trees ? 5+3+2=10
(Answer any one question)
14. (a) Discuss the relief of the Terai and Deltaic region of West Bengal.
(b) Specify the characteristics of the rivers of North Bengal.
(c) Why does storm originate in the afternoon of summer in West Bengal ? 5+3+2=10
15. (a) Discuss the factors responsible for industrial development in the Lake Region of U.S.A.
(b) What are the climatic regions through which the river Nile flows ?
(c) Mention the names of two ports located on the delta of the river Nile. 5+3+2=10
[ Only for External Candidates ]
16. Answer any five questions :— 2 x 5=10
(a) What is piedmont plain ?
(b) How does exfoliation of rocks take place ?
(c) What do you understand by trade wind ?
(d) What is rain shadow region ?
(e) Name two volcanic mountains of India.
(f) Name one deciduous tree and one mangrove vegetation of India.
(g) What is the other name of Black soil ? In which region of India Saline soil is found ?
(h) Identify any two problems of the jute industry in India.